No gym, no problem! With gyms across the globe closing as a precautionary measure to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, there has never been a better time to embrace home training. The good news is we're here to help, and will be providing you with our favourite home workouts and training tips!
In this blog, you’ll find:
- Links to complete video demonstrations, so you can set up your phone, laptop or TV and workout with me from the comfort of your own home!
- Lower body workout ideas that require minimal equipment and can be completed with a partner or alone.
- Tips on training from home.
- A table of recommended equipment - and our recommendations on makeshift replacements!
Now more than ever, it's important to stay active and challenge yourself in a new environment. We're all in this together, and I'd love to see you give these workouts a try! My extended video demonstrations provide you with exercise tips and cues to really get the most from each session. Are you ready for this? Let's get started!
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR EFFECTIVE HOME WORKOUTS
Home workouts are nothing new at BBR, as many of clients choose to train from home as it better suits their lifestyle. In fact, all of our Programs and Challenges include access to both home and gym workouts, allowing you to train from wherever you prefer! Through working with thousands of home-based clients worldwide, we've been able to identify the common challenges that exercising at home presents - and come up with ways to overcome them!
By the way, I’m no stranger to home workouts myself! True, most of the time I prefer completing my sessions at the gym. However, sometimes - especially when travelling - I find myself in situations where only minimal equipment is available (cue hotel gyms), or I may occasionally be staying somewhere where my own body is the only exercise tool I have at my disposal. And let me assure you - with a little bit of creativity, you can definitely make it work!
Below are my top troubleshooting tips that can help you have a great home session and achieve amazing results⤵️#1 EQUIPMENT SHORTAGE
As mentioned above, you can find yourself in a situation when next to nothing is available to you - and it’s completely fine! If you've recently been forced into home workouts and don't have any home equipment at your disposal, don't stress, we've got you!
In this blog, you will find a table of common household items that can be used as workout props - so that’s one option. Alternatively, you can perform any exercise with body weight only! In any case, to make exercises more effective and challenging, make sure to:
- Utilise time under tension. Slow down each phase of the movement - a lot!
- Really focus on mind to muscle connection, which will help engage target muscle groups
- Increase training volume - being that performing more sets, reps, or both
- Minimising rest periods between sets
- If you have access to or can invest in some workouts equipment, I highly recommend doing so as you progress throughout the workouts.
If you love going to the gym, a big part of it is probably the social aspect! Even if you don’t directly interact with others, seeing other people exercising and working on their goals beside you can be incredibly motivating and uplifting.
Obviously, things are a bit different at home! To reduce loneliness and boredom, try the following tips:
- Grab an exercise buddy! This could be your roommate, your partner - or even someone online who shares the same goal and is keen to become your video chat workout buddy!
- Even if you can’t find anyone to work with in real time, it really helps to join an online community of like minded individuals where you can discuss your fitness journey with others, exchange tips and provide support. We have a dedicated female-only online community that is a safe space to support you throughout this period!
- If all else fails, remember that I’ve included video links for workouts in this book, so you can work out with me!
It can be really hard to get into a “workout mindset” among so many distractions present at home. Children, pets, pantry...you name it! I find that creating a dedicated workout space, however big or small it is, does wonders to overcome this. So go ahead and dedicate an area of your living space to working out, and only use that space!
Additionally, it can help to prepare for your home workout just like you would for a gym session. Pick out an outfit, get your water bottle and towel ready, put everything else aside - and get to work! This way you’ll have a much more focused, effective workout.#4 NO MOTIVATION
With so many distractions, it can be especially easy to lose focus and motivation instead of getting that home workout done.
The answer to this is creating a consistent routine! Set a dedicated time aside every day to complete your session, put it in your calendar and treat it as an important meeting. The consistency will make your body anticipate - and eventually crave - exercise, and it will quickly go uphill from there.
LOWER BODY WORKOUTS IN UNDER 30 MINS
#1 BOOTY BURNER
Click here to complete this workout with me! I've created a detailed workout video for each workout to share my top tips for each exercise and guidance for the overall workout. Enjoy!
#2 - DROP IT LIKE A SQUAT
Click here to watch me complete this lower body workout!
#3 - BOOTYLICIOUS BAND SCULPTING
Click here to watch me complete this banded workout!
#4 - OH MY QUAD!
Click here to watch me complete this quad workout!
I hope you ladies enjoyed these! I'll be sharing more home workouts with you all to help us stay active throughout these challenging times❤️
My BBR Programs and Challenges provide access to home workouts, as well as a workout library with hundreds of home workout options to choose from! If you'd like to follow a structured home training plan and continue striving to achieve your goals from home, click here to find out more. I'd love to work with you!